In a recent case from Springfield, Ohio, a nursing aid stands accused of kicking a 95 year old resident. The signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse are usually not this clear. If your loved one is in a nursing or assisted living facility, be vigilant and keep an eye out for:
- unexplained bed sores, bruises or wounds;
- infrequent incontinence care (soiled bed linens, unsanitary adult briefs, etc.);
- malnutrition (unexpected or unexplained weight loss or gain);
- physical or verbal abuse (the resident may be hesitate to speak in the presence of staff); or
- heavy or unnecessary doses of sedatives such as benzodiazepines (Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax).
At Goddard & Wagoner, our attorneys have handled many nursing home abuse and neglect cases and can help you and your family to recognize abuse and neglect. If you suspect that your loved one has a been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, call the nursing home abuse lawyers at Goddard & Wagoner at 304-623-HELP.